Monday, January 3, 2011

James Gurney; Color and Light


It's a New Year and only right to start off 2011 with a textbook sort of Peek-a-Book. This one is really, really great! James Gurney goes over a lot of topics in here and keeps it all in bite sized bits. Ive always been a mild fan of his, but this book turned me into an all new, ravenous fan. I guess I was never crazy about Dinotopia, but this book shows a lot of his non Dinotopia work and its astounding! He is definitely a master of knowledge and technique. The book starts off with examples of other masters new and old and captions explaining why they are to be considered masters. He has all my favorites in here (Even an old favorite, Arthur Streeton has a page). Then he does about a 2 page spread for all the topics involved with painting and seeing- light, form, color etc etc... too many too list!! All of them explained very clearly and simply. I learn something new every time I open a page. This is just a really great, affordable book with priceless contents. I cant recommend it enough!

Color and Light
James Gurney
221pgs SC
Andrews McMeel Publishing
ISBN-13: 978-0-7407-9771-2
ISBN-10: 0-7407-9771-9

$14.99 on amazon- total steal for this book

1 comment:

Urchinator said...

I'm reading this right now! Every single page has information that's like...*puts book down and stares into space Keanu-style* ...whoa.